Essential oils are aromatic volatile liquids distilled from a variety of plants including herbs, flowers, and trees. They constitute some of the most concentrated natural extracts known, exhibiting significant antiviral, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, hormonal and psychological benefits. They penetrate skin and cell membranes and transport oxygen and nutrients to organs and muscle tissue, thereby promoting healing.
Scent is the only sense directly connected to the emotional center of the brain, giving aromatherapy the completely unique ability to change one’s emotional state with one sniff.
Essential oils are one of the original medicines of mankind and their benefits have been known since ancient times. In fact, their effectiveness and value was known by the ancient Egyptians and written about in the Christian Bible as well. Essential oils were utilized for their wide range of therapeutic actions both on the mind and the body for different diseases. Aside from the treatment of disease, however, they have long been used to assist in creating smooth, healthy pregnancies and labors by women and to promote the health and calmness of newborns.
Pictured Above: The Aria Cold Air Essential Oil Diffuser from Young Living Essential Oils
One of the gentlest, safest, and easiest ways to benefit from essential oils during your pregnancy, labor, or postpartum period is to diffuse them into the air, which allows them to be absorbed into the lungs and provide systemic benefits.
Aromatherapy for Pregnancy:
- Gentle Baby Oil Blend: A soft, fragrant combination of essential oils designed specifically for mothers and babies. It helps calm emotions during pregnancy
- Thieves Oil Blend: Provides immune system support
- Lavender Oil: Promotes deep relaxation/sleep, relieves headaches, and eases stress
Aromatherapy for Labor/Birth:
- Peace and Calming Oil Blend: Promotes mental and physical relaxation and eases fear around labor
- Peppermint Oil: Eases nausea and can stimulate energy/alertness during longer labors
- Clary Sage Oil: Encourages labor
- Lemon Oil: Stimulates oxytocin in the brain, encouraging labor to progress normally
Aromatherapy for Postpartum Support:
- Claraderm Spray (applied topically rather than diffused: This blend of essential oils of, Melaleuca, Lavender, Frankincense, Roman Chamomile and Helichrysum are mixed in a base of fractionated coconut oil and speeds the healing of the perineum or any tears after birth
- Joy Oil Blend, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense or Rose Oil: Uplifting, Anti-depressant, and promote feelings of joy, happiness and contentment
- En-er-Gee Oil Blend: Invigorates, alleviating tiredness and giving women energy after having given birth
- Gentle Baby Oil Blend: Diffused in the nursery, it helps to calm fussy babies and promote sound sleep
If the air that we breathe is clean and full of oxygen, we feel our best. Essential oils freshen the air and have a number of "bonus" therapeutic properties, such as those mentioned above that are specific for pregnancy. Diffusing therapeutic grade essential oils into ANY environment also has a number of general benefits worth noting…
Diffusing Essential Oils into ANY Environment will:
a) Relax the body, relieve tension, and clear the mind
b) Help with weight management
c) Improve concentration, alertness, and mental clarity
d) Stimulate neurotransmitters, which results in increased feelings of well-being and better moods
e) Stimulate the secretion of endorphins
f) Stimulate growth hormone production and receptivity
g) Improve the secretion of IgA antibodies that fight candida, an unfriendly fungus that underlies digestive health issues
h) Improve digestive function
i) Improve hormonal balance
j) Relieve headaches
k) Reduce bacteria, fungus, mold, and unpleasant odors
The importance of choosing and using quality oils and a quality diffuser
About Quality Oils:
To achieve the best effects from essential oils and avoid toxic reactions, it's imperative that you use only therapeutic grade essential oils, of a quality suited to medicinal aromatherapy. The gold standard in top-quality essential oils is the AFNOR standard : make sure that all of your oils are AFNOR-certified, each batch tested in an independent lab.
(Even many so-called pure, organic or "Grade A" oils cannot match this standard. Shortcuts are often taken in production, or chemical fillers are added to extend the oils or enhance their fragrance. All of these lead to poor quality oils, which are — unbelievably — still marketed as pure, organic and Grade A.)
About Quality Aromatherapy Diffusers:
Diffusion is the process of dispersing essential oils so that their aroma fills a room or an area with the natural fragrance. From the simple to the elaborate, many different methods exist for diffusing essential oils into a room. There are numerous diffusers and diffusing devices available for purchase from aromatherapy vendors. Some involve the use of heat, which destroys some of the therapeutic properties of the oils being used. Others disperse the oils, but not in a form that is readily absorbed by the lungs, making their therapeutic effect minimal at best.
Ultrasonic or nebulizing diffusers take essential oils and break them into separate molecules before dispersing the smaller molecules into the room. These smaller molecules can be more readily absorbed by the lungs and thus have greater therapeutic value. Another advantage of both of these technologies is that they do not heat the oils in the process of diffusing. Because of this, 100% of the oils’ medicinal constituents remain intact and are dispersed into the air for your benefit.
Where to Purchase Both:
Quality, therapeutic grade essential oils that meet the aforementioned standards, as well as quality diffusers that use ultrasonic or nebulizing technology, are both offered by a company called Young Living Essential Oils.
Go to www.youngliving.com and use distributor/sponsor number 820049 to purchase oils or diffusers under my distributorship.