"One of the best kept secrets in nutrition is the seed of a desert plant called chia, among the most nourishing, energy-giving, endurance-sustaining food products ever discovered... Royal planters of Aztec emperors grew precious chia seeds in floating gardens surrounding their capital city of Tenochitlan." - James F. Scheer, The Magic of Chia
- Have two times the protein of any other seed or grain and five times the calcium of milk
- Are richer in potassium than bananas
- Have three times the antioxidants as do blueberries and three times more iron than spinach
- Contain Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids in a beneficial, anti-inflammatory ratio
- Boost strength, energy, and endurance
- Level blood sugar
- Induce weight loss
- Cleanse the entire digestive tract
|Chia seeds have also been found to be helpful with certain medical conditions: overweight, thryroid problems, irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, celiac disease, lowering cholesterol, diabetes, and hypoglycemia.|
If you're looking for a budget-friendly, elegant raw dessert to make for a lot of company, this is it.
Coconut Chia Pudding with Strawberries:
1/2 c. heirloom chia seeds
3 cups spring water
1 1/2 c. coconut milk (1 c. water or coconut water blended with the meat of one young coconut 'til creamy) OR macadamia nut milk if you don't have a coconut on-hand)
About 1/3 c. raw honey or agave nectar (taste and adjust to your liking)
1 tsp. raw vanilla bean powder
a pinch of sun fire salt to bring out the sweetness and add minerals
1. Soak the chia seeds in the water overnight.
2. Whisk the now gelled chia/water combination with the coconut milk, honey, vanilla, and sun fire salt until well combined.
3. To serve: Top with sliced strawberries and sprinkle with palm (coconut) sugar and cinnamon.
|The Raw Food World carries heirloom chia seeds in bulk, sea salt, honey, and everything else you need to make some amazing chia pudding!|